Massachusetts Logo

Back

Buying a Home with Bad Credit

By Steve Belakonis

When purchasing a home, your credit will play a very pivotal role in determining if you will qualify for a mortgage that will make buying a home possible. It is useful to know that you can still buy a home even if you have bad credit. Whether you have bad credit from poorly managed debt, have filed bankruptcy or have gone through a foreclosure, there are mortgage loan programs you can utilize that are specifically designed for those with less than favorable credit.

Different types of home loans for bad credit

There are three specific kinds of bad credit loans for first time home buyers that you may qualify for. These are FHA loans, VA mortgage loans, and subprime mortgage loans.

An FHA loan, otherwise known as a Federal Housing Administration insured loan, is a loan program that has been provided by the federal government since the 1930s to help stimulate the housing market, and it is designed to provide options for people who have fair or poor credit, have a low down payment (minimum of 3.5%), have undergone bankruptcy, or have been foreclosed on. It is the easiest type of real estate mortgage to qualify for and it is easy to transfer to a new buyer, should you decide to later sell the home. However, since it lacks other strict standards of a conventional loan, an FHA loan requires two kinds of mortgage insurance premiums, and for the house meets certain conditional standards via an appraisal from an FHA-approved appraiser. To qualify for an FHA loan, a borrower:

• Must have steady employment history or worked for same employer for the last two years.

• Must have valid Social Security number, lawful residency in the U.S., and be of legal age to sign a mortgage in your state.

• Must make a minimum down payment of 3.5% on the house, or 10% down if your credit score is between 500 and 579. The money can be gifted by a family member (conventional financing does not allow gifting).

• Must have a property appraisal from an FHA-approved appraiser.

• Mortgage payment (including principal, interest, property taxes, property insurance) needs to be less than 31% of your gross monthly income.

• Monthly debt (mortgage, credit cards, auto, student loans, etc.) cannot be more than 43% of your monthly income.

• Must have a minimum credit score of 500. A credit score of 580 and above requires a 3.5% down payment and a credit score of 500-579 requires a 10% down payment. FHA-qualified lenders will use a case-by-case basis to determine an applicants' credit worthiness.

• Must be two years out of bankruptcy, with good credit.

• Must be three years out of foreclosure, with good credit.

The VA mortgage program is designed for first time homebuyers who are veterans of the armed services. Many times, VA loans will allow a first time homebuyer with bad credit to buy a home with no money down and then benefit from historically low interest rates on their loan. If you are in active duty, in the reserves, or you are married to someone who is, this could be one of the best bad credit loans for first time homebuyers as its down payment and interest options are most favorable to you.

Finally, there is a subprime mortgage loan option, which is specifically for the first time homebuyer with bad credit. A subprime mortgage is a type of loan granted to those with poor credit, often with scores below 600, who, as a result of their poor credit score, would be unable to qualify for other types of mortgages. Since those with poor credit history present a higher risk to mortgage lenders, candidates for subprime mortgages are charged high interests rates than the prime lending rate. Although a subprime mortgage will cost borrowers more in the long run, it is a good option for someone with bad credit who has few other options for a home loan.

Advice for Home Buyers with Bad Credit

If you know you have bad credit and are certain that you still want to purchase a home in the near future, the best advice to take to heart is to plan ahead and try to improve your credit score by producing some positive credit history. And then, before you apply for any of the above-mentioned mortgage loans, make a concerted effort to reduce your regular monthly expenditures and keep them steady; doing this will help you better afford your new mortgage payments in the long term once you are approved, and set you up for a problem-free home buying process.

Popular Articles:

How to Improve Your Credit Score

How Much House Can I Afford?

Buying a Short Sale Property

Homebuyer's Checklist

4 Tips for Managing Your Budget

Mistakes to Avoid When Selling a House

How to Flip a House

Comments

Leave a comment:

* Login in order to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join for Free
5 hours ago

jimmie fox

my name is jimmie I had some nagging late payments, medical bills, student loan and a bankruptcy filed 2016. I had credit scores of 554 (TransUnion) and 548 (Equifax) in June 2017. I applied for a

1 day ago

Tony Tiller

There are numerous testimonies about this particular hacker. He has peculiar expertise in hacking and miraculously fixing credit reports and clearing debts. At first I felt it was too good to be true

1 day ago

Tony Tiller

1 day ago

Paul Parks

If you need a professional and an expert in fixing of credit score and removing of negative items on your credit report. I will advise you to get in touch with him because he is very good, fast and

1 day ago

daniel rooney

My name is Daniel , I have lost money and my FICO Credit Scores went from 635 to 450 in 2 months because of 2 fake hackers I paid to take care of my Credit as both promised me 780+ Scores in a week

1 day ago

Kylian James

I have never gone live writing about someone but I have to do this because I must express my utmost gratitude and let everyone know much better I feel and how good and reliable proton is in his field.

1 day ago

Kylian James

1 day ago

Kylian James

2 days ago

Jerry Porter

Hello everyone, i have been struggling with my low credit score because i have a lot of negatives collection items and inquiries with some late payment on my credit report. when i heard about this

2 days ago

Collins Bait

My search for a reliable and prolific hacker came to an end when I came across DARKWEBZZ@NULL.NET. His jobs are fast and come with an affordable price. He has carried out over 5 jobs for me which

2 days ago

Albert Walsh

I have seen a lot of people complaining about their credit score and chexsystems issues for decades now and i think it's high time i tell the secret of how i got my credit score increased in just two

3 days ago

Anthony Fischer

I never believed (cleverhacker|DOT|hack|AT|gmail|DOT|com or 404-795-8215) could help me get my credit score up because I saw so many recommendations of him though I had doubts. He help me delete the

4 days ago

Leo Larson

I had a bad credit score for months back when i have been struggling with my bills. i have to go for a loan but unluckily i was declined due to my low credit score and i went to my sister and she told

6 days ago

robert benson

my name is Robert Benson, After having multiple bad experiences with credit repair companies and figuring out the credit score they told me they boosted was actually false and the negatives on my

6 days ago

Larry Francis

My recent experience made me understand that the credit score doesnâ??t matter nearly as much as the actual information in your credit report. when i applied for a bank loan three months ago, i

6 days ago

Willie Robertson

Hi Everyone...i know this isn't part of the discussion but i just want to seize this opportunity to tell you all about a professional hacker i just met name Robert Morris. I was scared at first

6 days ago

Trent George

You are in total control of your credit score, no matter if itâ??s in the 500s or the 800s. The cost of poor credit is massive. You will pay higher interest, require larger down payments and

6 days ago

pablo monreal

I want to introduce a credit specialist named TRUST REPAIR, I must confess he has made life better and easier for me. My name is Carrick and I found out that some credit repair companies online can

1 week ago

Melissa Finley

My partner and I wanted to buy a house in April of 2016 and were turned down because of our credit and the lender told us that we should have a better credit within few months to buy. We didn`t have

1 week ago

smith robinson

My name is Smith Robinson, I just want to profess my gratitude to SYNCHACKTECH for helping me fix my CREDIT REPORT. I had an EVICTION, JUDGEMENT and quite a number of other negative items on my report

About The Author

Based in Middleton, MA, Steve is a licensed agent and also part-time...

Phone: (978) 337-0233

Become an Expert Contributor

Have some knowledge to share, and want easy and effective exposure to our audience? Get your articles or guides featured on Mass Realty today! Learn more about being an expert contributor.

Learn More