Massachusetts Logo

Back

Supporting the Christian Community in Newton: Trinity Parish

By Elisha Neubauer

Standing at the corner of Centre and Homer in Newton Centre, the Trinity Parish building has been a staple of the community since its construction began in 1915. However, the history of Trinity Parish began long before the current building was erected. The very first Episcopal service held in Newton Centre was actually performed in a rented building in 1889. The service was attended by eighty-two people and was conducted by Rectors and Theology students, including Edward T. Sullivan- who later became Trinity's first official rector in 1891.

It was in 1893 that the Parish built its first permanent home. However, the numbers in the congregation flourished over the next several years, quickly outgrowing the small wooden church; and in 1915, the Parish broke ground on what is now the current building. Several devoted artisans within the Parish pitched in during the construction, and the new building was finished quickly- holding its first service on Palm Sunday in 1916. Since that first meeting, the church has continued to grow, adding programs, activities, and new buildings to the grounds.

If you ask Parish Rector Todd Miller why Trinity has been able to support the community so well, the answer is simple. He says, "We at Trinity strive to create a safe haven in which we can all connect with God's activity in our lives." He goes on to say, "Weekly worship lies at the heart of our spiritual journey, with the scriptures and sacraments offering food to renew us for carrying out God's work in the world. We love music. We make ample use of color, movement and gesture. We relish the stone and glass of the worship space with which we have been blessed."

Trinity Parish's dedication to the community is the inspiration behind several unique programs. The Trinity Parish Vestry is responsible for overseeing the Ten Percent Fund- an escrowed account of investment funds equating to ten percent of the operating expenses which is used to help parishioners nurture spiritual growth through the service of others. A food pantry and volunteering for the Salvation Army and the Bishops' Summer Academic and Fun Enrichment (B-SAFE) program are a few other examples of how Trinity Parish reaches out to its community.

Rich in history, culture, and community- Trinity Parish will always be welcoming to new members. The Parish offers several supplements for those who are just beginning their journey to faith, such as First Time in Prayer and Quiet, Intercessory Prayer, Developing a Rule of Life, or Discerning Spiritual Gifts. It also welcomes those who are simply new to the area. As Reverend Todd Miller says, "Trinity Parish is a community that loves good music and good food, that is committed to justice and helping those in need and that strives to walk ever more closely with the Lord in our daily lives."

Share this:

Comments

Leave a comment:

* Login in order to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join for Free



About The Author

Elisha Neubauer is a freelance editor, ghostwriter, book reviewer, and author. She is...

View Profile

Become an Expert Contributor

Have some knowledge to share, and want easy and effective exposure to our audience? Get your articles or guides featured on Mass Realty today! Learn more about being an expert contributor.

Learn More