The Town of Danvers is in southern Essex County, one of the earliest settlements in the area. Colonists had moved into the area as early as 1630, when Salem began allocating land grants and a village was authorized in what is now modern Danvers as early as 1636. Governor John Endicott was one of the first settlers in the town and established Orchard Farm, a very large land holding for its day, with 300 to 400 acres. The town's location, proximity to Salem and easy access to roads north and south have transformed it from a small colonial farming community to a vigorous suburban municipality which is proud of its municipal services and school system.
(Seal supplied by community. Narrative based on information provided by the Massachusetts Historical Commission)